Calling All Corporate Champions!
#GivingTuesday – November 29, 2016
The Doors of Change Mission: Helping Homeless Street Youth of San Diego
The statistics are sobering: San Diego ranks 6th in the country for the number of homeless youth. There are estimated to be over 2, homeless “street youth” in San Diego — youth who do not have marketable job skills and who do not qualify for benefits provided by the foster care system.
The majority of these youth are not homeless by choice. Most have become homeless to escape abuse, neglect and rejection from their families, are exiting the juvenile justice system, and/or were kicked out by caregivers. Up to 40% of these homeless youth identify as being LGBTQ+. Homeless youth are extremely vulnerable, and are two times more likely to suffer from depression, anxiety, PTSD and alcohol and drug addiction than youth living in stable housing. Doors of Change is positively impacting the lives of homeless youth in San Diego through our Taking Music & Art to the Streets program and our new Housing Program for Self-Sufficiency.
Homeless Street Youth Need Our Help!
The number of homeless individuals in San Diego continues to rise and those who are currently receiving the most support in our community at this time are veterans and families with children. Homeless street youth receive scant media attention and are barely on the radar of most funding agencies or political leaders – they are truly the “invisible youth” of San Diego. These youth do not want to be homeless – they need our help! Doors of Change has a 15-year track record of success building trust with homeless youth. With our new Housing Program for Self Sufficiency, we have taken our organization to a higher level – a level that provides lasting solutions for homeless youth and sets them well on the road to self-sufficiency.
You Will Make a Lasting Difference!
100% of all gifts received for #GivingTuesday will go to the
Doors of Change Housing Program for Self-Sufficiency
You can change the lives of San Diego homeless youth by participating in #GivingTuesday. On the heels of Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and CyberMonday, #GivingTuesday is a global day dedicated to giving. Last year, more than 40,000 organizations in 68 countries came together to celebrate #GivingTuesday. Since its founding in 2012, #GivingTuesday has inspired giving around the world, resulting in greater donations, volunteer hours, and activities that bring about real change in communities.
We invite you to join the #GivingTuesday movement by becoming a Doors of Change Corporate Champion and help solve youth homelessness!
As a Doors of Change #GivingTuesday Corporate Champion you will:
- Make a pledge at the Corporate Leadership $10,000 Level, Corporate Associate $5,000 Level, or Corporate Assistant $2500 Level
- Launch a Matching Gift Challenge: Challenge your employees by launching a 1:1 Challenge Match! Announce that you will match all gifts 1:1 up to the maximum of your corporate pledge level. Invite employees to make a personal gift and ask them to invite their colleagues and friends to participate on or before November 29.
- Appoint an internal #GiveTueDoorsofChange organizer. Set an internal fundraising goal (if your corporate pledge is $5,000 and you launch a 1:1 match, your goal could be set at $10,000).
- Invite/Challenge your business associates in the community to become Corporate Champions and match your fundraising goal or set their own goal within their companies.
Corporate Champion Perks
In addition to helping homeless street youth turn their lives around and become self-sufficient you will:
- Be recognized on the Doors of Change website and in all Doors of Change #GivingTuesday related promotions — in any printed materials and on social media.
- Be invited to participate in a #GivingTuesday evening gathering on November 29 with all other participants. We will have special surprise guests in attendance.
Other Ways Corporate Champions Can Help Spread the Word:
- Post on your website that you are “Corporate Champions for Doors of Change for #GivingTuesday, November 29, 2016” and help us spread awareness the entire month of November which is National Homeless Youth Awareness month.
- Use the hashtag #GiveTueDoorsofChange and #GivingTuesday on social media.
- Follow @doorsofchange on Twitter and re-tweet our tweets.
- Follow Doors of Change on Facebook and comment or share our posts.
More About Doors of Change
Doors of Change, also known as Photocharity, has been helping homeless youth in San Diego for over 15 years. Founded by Jeffrey Sitcov, Doors of Change provides services to youth ages 12-24 through the award-winning Taking Music & Art to the Streets program (TMATS). Over the past three years, there have been over 2,800 youth visits to TMATS. Youth who participate in the program receive a hot meal, clean clothing, and shoes and hygiene products along with free music and art lessons. Youth who attend six sessions receive a free musical instrument of their choice or $50 in art supplies. Over 210 youth have earned instruments. Most importantly, through this program, we build trust with these youth, which encourages them to seek assistance to better their lives.
In January of 2016 Doors of Change opened its Housing Program for Self-Sufficiency. This 18- to 24-month long residential program currently serves four homeless youth by providing 24/7 supervision, wraparound services, job training, health and wellness education and any needed therapy. Youth in the program are required to work at least 30 hours per week and contribute 30% of their earnings to rent and 30% of their earnings to a personal savings account.
Doors of Change is a 501(c)(3) organization, Federal EIN 77-0606859. All gifts to Doors of Change are tax-deductible to the full extent allowed by law. To make a gift via check, please make your check payable to Doors of Change and in the notation section indicate: #GivingTuesday Coporate Champion. Checks may be mailed to: PO Box 177, Cardiff, CA 92007. Online gifts may be made at Doorsofchange.org.
For more information contact: Jeffrey Sitcov, Founder and President: Jeffrey@doorsofchange.org or phone: 760.505.7077